About me as your Personal Art Instructor
As your Personal Art Instructor I guide you through the course, providing feedback on your progress every step of the way, commenting on every exercise. I have been specially trained to the highest standards by Course Founder, artist, author and leading internet art educator, Cindy Wider.
- If you have any questions please use my contact form and I will happy to assist you.
- You can purchase a place on the course at DrawPj.com
- To study specifically with me then please mention my name when responding to your enrollment email.
Ebooks about the course I teach (PDF)
- The course is presented as a series of 37 fully printable e-books (a total of 890 pages with 560 images)
- The course is split into six major course units of study (see below)
- Each individual course unit contains five weeks of study plus two weeks to complete each final unit project
- You will study between 2 and 4 hours per week (possibly more depending on the unit and exercise) to complete the course in 42 weeks
The Course Units
Unit 1: Outline Drawing
Outline Drawing is one of the most important foundation skills in drawing and art.
- To set the scene for your success we show you how to prepare your area for regular and committed drawing practice.
- Next we dive straight in to begin training your eye-mind-hand coordination with some deceptively simple looking but challenging exercises.
- You will rapidly develop a high standard of outline drawing skills as you learn to use several valuable methods and techniques that professionals use.
- The final two weeks of this unit culminate in a challenging and rewarding drawing project to further strengthen your newly acquired outline drawing skills
Unit 2 : Shading and Form
Correct Shading and the understanding of Form are the key ingredients needed to make your drawing ‘look more realistic than a photograph.’
During this unit you will see your drawings transform before your eyes from a simple outline into an amazing three-dimensional illusion on your page.
- You’ll discover the theory of light and shade and how this knowledge can help you when drawing from life or when photographs are not enough.
- You will learn how important it is to draw the correct shapes in your shadows and highlights which are just as important as the outline drawing itself.
- Through a series of drawing exercises you will refine your ability to compare tones and understand form while using the smooth shading technique.
- You’ll unlock the formulas to drawing and shading drapery and folds.
- In the final two weeks of this unit you will create a drawing of a fully rendered 3d looking man made object (at this point you will be amazed at your new skills!)
Unit 3: Portraiture Foundations
Realistic portraiture is seen by many artists as one of the ultimate skills and challenges. Portraiture also provides us with an excellent opportunity to further refine our studies of light and shade.
In this unit you will develop the skills required to create a realistic portrait and some amazing textures for a huge variety of subject matter using Graphite pencil, Charcoal and white Conte.
- You will discover the proportions on the face and how to develop a portrait starting from one single vertical and horizontal line.
- You will study the individual facial features, how to draw a child’s face in graphite pencil and how to draw hair.
- Discover the incredibly intuitive and sensual medium of charcoal as you further develop your understanding of tone
- Learn twelve different charcoal techniques.
- Draw three different hairstyles including; male short wavy hair, female long wavy hair and female medium curly hair.
- In the final two weeks of the course you will create your own portrait.
Unit 4: Perspective
Understanding Perspective is exciting and fun with our unique colour-coded method. You will soon discover that it’s easy to create a huge variety of drawings from your imagination using these rules of perspective and methods for achieving correct proportions.
- Learn the basics quicky and easily with our unique colour-coded step-by-step process.
- In this unit you will learn how to draw from your imagination using the rules of one and two-point perspective.
- We start with some basic shapes in perspective and then progress step-by-step to more complex perspective objects.
- You’ll learn how to use ‘the sighting technique’ to apply proportion to drawings from life.
- In the final two weeks of the course you will create a beautiful drawing of a building in three-point perspective.
Unit 5: Colour Pencil and Colour Mixing
During this unit you will discover how to draw with coloured pencil. Every artist needs the freedom to be able to mix colour properly, applying the colour pencil pigment onto the paper in the correct way and have a toolbox of CP techniques to get the desired effects.
This exciting unit is loaded with professional techniques that quickly immerse you into drawing with colour pencil.
- You’ll learn the secrets of how to mix a huge array of colours
- You will discover the traditional colour pencil strokes and techniques through a series of enjoyable step-by-step projects.
- You will be shown how to draw objects in traditional realism.
- The final week of this unit will culminate in the creation of a completed drawing project to further reinforce your colour pencil technique and colour mixing skills.
Unit 6: Compose Original Art
Composition is the final area of study which brings all other artistic elements together. As an Artist you must thoroughly understand composition to create completely original artworks which are pleasing for the viewer.
- We reveal to you our unique 3 stage process for organising your thoughts and ideas in order to create original art (this is a fantastic process for creating commissioned artworks too!).
- You’ll learn the power of making thumbnail sketches to build upon your ideas.
- You will discover and study ten rules of composition that will help you compose easily and beautifully every time.
- You will be presented with several common compositional structures and apply these to your ‘thumbnail sketches’.
- Practice three different art styles in readiness for choosing an artistic style for your own composition.
- In the final two weeks of this unit you will create a completely original drawing in colour pencil composed from your own imagination.
I look forward to meeting you when you study with me on DrawPj.com.